Ahhh Paris, the city of love........Lots of our guests choose to have a few days in Paris before or after a cruise, so in honour of St Valentine's Day here are my five top tips for surprising your partner with something romantic during your stay.
1. Take a perfume workshop with L'Artis
an Parfumeur - during the 3.5 hour session you'll discover the olfactory families and learn about the materials and techniques used to create perfume. Best of all you get to create your own personal scent to take home. (€185 per person, book here)
2. Visit the Chateau Vaux le Vicomte by candlelight - Even though its a longer drive from the boat, sometimes take our cruise guests to this gorgeous 17th century Chateau which on Saturday evenings is lit by over 2,000 candles in the house and gardens. Your ticket includes dinner on the terrace of Diana overlooking the gardens. We sometimes include (€55-€65 per person, May to October, easily accessible from Paris, book here)
3. Wander round the Marché aux Fleurs - located on Place Louis Lépine between the Notre-Dame Cathedral and Sainte-Chapelle chapel, this flower market offers great photo opportunities and a favourite bunch will brighten up even the drabbest hotel room (from personal experience your room's rubbish bin or a cut down plastic water bottle can serve as an impromptu vase if reception are unable to provide one!)
4. Go to an event they'll love - there's always something on in this buzzing city, so before you arrive check out what your partner would love. Maybe an exhibition of their favourite artist, the theatre or an outdoor opera performance. Great sources of info are Time Out, the Paris Tourist Office and Secrets of Paris.
5. Get lost - Paris is a truly beautiful city, just head of the beaten track, particularly in the 6th and 7th arrondissements. You'll find a beautiful building or cute cafe which feels as if nobody else has ever found, which can be just your special place.