Chapter History

On December 4, 1948, members of the local Delta Theta Fraternity celebrated the reception of their Charter from the Kappa Sigma Fraternity with a banquet at the historic Mayo Hotel. On that evening, Delta Theta become the 143rd chapter of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity, taking the name Epsilon-Mu! In 1952, Epsilon-Mu moved into the Seventh Street Chapter House facility–the same house we call home today!

Epsilon-Mu Chapter House shortly after opening in 1952.

Over the years, our Chapter House has undergone many changes. In 2011, the ground floor of the Chapter House was completely remodeled adding a grand fireplace, removing the old and cracking flooring, and refinishing the front patio and entrance. Last year, a $150,000 capital campaign was launched with the goal of renovating the side patio and chapter hall. This summer, we began work on the rooms located on the second floor of the house adding even more amenities for our members. The Housing Corporation continuously works with Chapter leadership to improve and maintain the Chapter House.

Epsilon-Mu is no stranger to success! At the 1988 Leadership Conference in Memphis, TN, Epsilon-Mu was awarded the very first Founders' Award for Chapter Excellence or F.A.C.E. and has continued to receive this prestigious award for 29 of the last 30 years–the only chapter to hold this distinction! In 2000 at the Leadership Conference in Dallas, TX, the SEC announced a new award, the Founders' Circle Award. This award distinguishes the top five chapters in all of Kappa Sigma. Eligible chapters must receive the F.A.C.E. award, be recognized for having an outstanding Brothers in Action (Pledgeship) program, maintain a Chapter GPA above the All Men's Average, demonstrate exceptional campus involvement, and consistently give back to their community. Since the award's inception, Epsilon-Mu has received this distinction numerous times, including at the most recent Leadership Conference in New Orleans, LA!