Turn your 2D Drawings into an STL File!
Two of our 3D4E members, Bryce and Reuben, create a tutorial on how to turn an image into an STL file using Fusion360. But if you don't want to watch the full video, here are the written instructions!
1. Download a png or jpg file you wish to turn into an STL file*
2. Go to pngtosvg.com
3. Upload file using "Choose your file" button
4. Make sure the number of colors is as low as possible
5. Click generate (the image create should be sharp)
6. Download as an SVG
7. Open Autodesk Fusion360 and create a new design
8. Import the SVG by clicking "Insert" near the top right of the window (The image is of a mountain range with a sun)
9. Select an SVG file and find it in your files
10. Select a plane and then click "solid" and extrude
11. Click the parts you wish to extrude by giving it a distance
12. Right-click on the name of the object and click "Save as an STL". Make sure the refinement is on high
Let us know below what designs you turn into 3D models! If you have any questions, please comment below!
*If you want to make your drawing into an STL, you can scan it. An alternative method would be to trace the sketch in Adobe Illustrator and export it as a png or jpg file.