Updated: Feb 7
Vegan, egg free meringue you say? Well gals and guys, I've cracked it!
I had never made a Meringue before, not even a standard one prior to trying this out. I love love love meringue but it always seemed like a lot of egg white and a LOT of sugar. I'm not a vegan but the appeal of this recipe is that I don't have to deal with loads of egg yolks. I attempted some meringue kisses years go without a standing mixer and gave up about 20 minutes into my hand whisking.
This recipe uses the liquid from a can of chick peas, its called aquafaba. Aquafaba is cheap (much cheaper than 400ml egg whites) and the perfect fluffy egg replacement. This magic stuff is not only found in the cans of chickpeas but all other tinned legumes and even tofu. You are going to need a standing mixer to achieve this pavlova, trust me.
1. Pop your coconut cream in the fridge ideally the night before. Drain your chickpeas and save the liquid. You can use the chickpeas for other recipes so don't throw them away.
2. Pop the liquid into a container and into the fridge as well.The more chilled you can get it, the easier it will be to whip.
3. pre heat your oven to 160 degrees & line a large baking tray with parchment paper.
4. Pour the sugar onto the tray and into the oven for 5-10 minutes, just until it starts to brown. The Warner the sugar the more absorbent it is. Remove form the oven before it burns.
5. Fetch your Aquafaba and Coconut Cream and deposit both into the bowl of a standing mixer.
6. Whisk on a medium speed for 8-10 minutes until you start to see soft peaks forming, once you do - add the vanilla extract. Keep whisking and start adding the sugar by the spoonful.
7. Turn the oven down to 100 degrees. Once all sugar is added and incorporated - add the corn flower and continue whisking until you have a nice firm mixture with stiff peaks.
8. Scoop your mixture out and spread onto your baking tray - try to avoid knocking any air out.
9. Bake for 1.5 - 2 hours, the longer the bake and lower the oven heat; the better your results will be.
10. Once baked add your toppings and enjoy.
400ml coconut cream
400g can of chick peas
200g light brown caster sugar
1 tbsp corn flour
1 tbsp vanilla extract
To serve and decorate: Fruit, Nuts, Cacao nibs, Fruit coulis; the list is endless.
Top with all manor of toppings and enjoy! JBx